Have you met Lupita?
Lupita is a single mother and a registered dental assistant who is worried about health insurance.
She works overtime to provide for her daughter and like millions of Americans, Lupita does not have health insurance because she can’t afford it.
Uninsured and making ends meet
Lupita shared her story with us:
“I work really hard as a single mom. When you have a nine-year old daughter, it can be wild getting her out of bed, getting her ready for school. It gets crazy.
I stay on the clock a little extra longer just to make sure that I have enough at the end of the month for both of us.”
Not having health insurance is something that stays on Lupita’s mind during the hustle and bustle of daily life – especially when she’s driving: “One car crash could cost everything. I could lose it all.”
How the Marketplace helps people like Lupita
- Lupita will be able to apply for coverage, compare plans, and enroll through the Marketplace in her state. If she has questions, she’ll be able to get help along the way.
- She may be able to get lower costs on her monthly premiums and she may qualify for lower out-of-pocket costs.
- Or Lupita may be able to get free or low-cost coverage through Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). In the Health Insurance Marketplace, most people who apply will qualify for lower costs of some kind.
Share your story
Lupita is looking forward to the one-stop shopping and lower costs that Marketplace coverage will provide.
Find out how health care is changing – in 214 words. And tell us why health insurance is important to you. Are you looking forward to getting covered in 2014?
- Share your thoughts in a Tweet using the hashtag #214words
- Leave us a comment on Facebook in 14 words or less
- Submit a comment below
And help us spread the word! Open enrollment begins on October 1, 2013. Coverage starts as soon as January 1, 2014.