Have you met Howard?
Howard is a self employed software designer who needs health insurance.
He designs health care software and like millions of Americans, Howard has been denied health insurance coverage because of a pre-existing condition.
Uninsurable until 2014
Howard shared his story with us:
“Five years ago, I was diagnosed with Diabetes. Once you get that diagnosis, the insurance company says, ‘you’re uninsurable.’
To get access to medical care now, what I do is participate in clinical trials on diabetes. I’m one of the people who actually are guinea pigs for new drugs
Insurance companies want perfect people, which is totally impossible. Everybody is going to get something at some time.”
How the Marketplace helps people like Howard
- Since Howard is self-employed, he will have more health coverage options in 2014.
- Howard won’t be denied coverage for a pre-existing condition or charged more because he is diabetic.
- In the Health Insurance Marketplace, all plans will cover a set of 10 essential benefits including 15 preventive health services and chronic disease management.
- Howard may be able to get lower costs on a wide range of Marketplace health plans.
Share your story
Howard is looking forward to getting covered and being able to choose the Marketplace health plan that meets his needs.
Find out how health care is changing – in 214 words. And tell us why health insurance is important to you. Are you looking forward to getting covered in 2014?
- Share your thoughts in a Tweet using the hashtag #214words
- Leave us a comment on Facebook in 14 words or less
- Submit a comment below
And help us spread the word! Open enrollment begins on October 1, 2013. Coverage starts as soon as January 1, 2014.