Even if you’re going to yearly physician appointments, you may not be getting the wellness care you need. Are you asking your physician the right questions to get the right answers? Are you disclosing all of your health concerns to your doctor? Remember: your doctor can help you with more than just runny noses and allergies.
Sometimes it may seem like a doctor is rushing to see other patients, but your doctor may not realize that you have questions. To make sure you don’t forget, make a list of questions you would like to ask and let the doctor know that you have questions early on in the appointment.
Medical professionals have a higher chance of success if the patient is willing to cooperate. When a doctor or nurse sees that you came prepared with questions, he or she may spend more time answering those questions.
Concerns To Address:
- Your mood: Have you been feeling sad or more tired than usual?
- Your energy: Are you tired after a full night’s sleep?
- Your weight: Do the numbers on your scale change often? Do you worry about your weight?
- Your physical activity: Do you have a physical problem when you work out or lack the mental motivation to do so?
- Your immunity: Have you been getting sick more often than usual? Do you need a vaccine or a healthier diet?
- Your body: Do you have any peculiar body aches and pains or new marks? Do you need a precautionary cancer screening?
- Your history: Do you have a family medical history that puts you at risk for diabetes or another disease?
- Your ears: Do you lose your balance often or have frequent ear aches?
- Your bladder: Could you have a urinary tract infection? Do you feel any pain or are you urinating more or less often than usual?
- Your lungs: Do you smoke and need help quitting? Additionally, do you have a problem with drugs and alcohol?
Relevant questions to ask during your appointment:
- What can I do to prevent this from happening again?
- What is this test for?
- When will I see results?
- What exactly does this medication do? Why am I taking it?
- Will this medication interact with my other prescriptions? How about alcohol?
- Are there any alternatives to this procedure/medication?
- What are the potential complications or side effects?
- What kind of exercise can help me?
- What kind of diet should I focus on?
- When should I come back?
You should feel comfortable asking your doctor about ANY medical concerns that you have, not limited to our list! Your physician may have good recommendations for specialists if they believe that another doctor may be more able to help you. Don’t be afraid to ask about concerns that may not be in your physician’s realm.
Now that you’ve eliminated some care concerns, speak to a HealthTN agent today with questions about your coverage. Fill out our information form here or call (615) 541-4257.